Written By Raquel Nixon, Contributing Writer
“If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
National Compliment Day, January 24th, was founded in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin of Hopkinton, New Hampshire, and Debby Hoffman of Concord, New Hampshire . Every day is a good day to recognize your loved ones, but this day is a reminder to let them know how much you care about them. Think about what it is you really admire and appreciate about them.
In fact, whether it be a family member, close friend, or a random stranger, spread the positivity and try handing out some compliments. The power of a compliment cannot be underestimated. They are a great way to help boost someone’s confidence or brighten up their day .
Here are a few things to think about as you honor National Compliment Day:
- Compliments Motivate People – Whether it’s at work, school, or home, we typically like our efforts to be acknowledged. Especially if it’s something we worked hard on. Don’t forget to recognize the work, skills, and effort of those around you. When people are recognized for their work, they tend to be more motivated in return .
- Giving compliments Can Help Create a Positive Environment – a positive environment is a productive environment. Appreciating the people around you is a great way to clear any tension or negative vibes. Be sure to let people know how much you value them, and then watch them flourish.
- Be Sincere – A person can usually tell if a compliment is sincere or not. Remember to be honest and genuine when giving someone a compliment. They will be sure to recognize the difference.
- Spread Happiness – One compliment could be enough to brighten a person’s day. Even if you’re able to bring a smile to one person’s face, that’s enough. They may even spread that joy by complimenting someone else.
- Don’t Be Discouraged if Someone Doesn’t Accept Your Compliment – A study showed that only 40% of compliments are actually accepted. Most women say that they don’t accept compliments due to embarrassment or not wanting to draw attention to themselves. Some even think that accepting a compliment essentially means agreeing with it, which they fear will make them out to appear prideful. Many women in the study said they wanted to accept compliments but just didn’t know how . Let them know that you’re sincere. Let’s banish the idea that accepting compliments makes you conceited! It doesn’t.
- Don’t Forget to Compliment Yourself! – You have plenty of wonderful qualities for yourself. It’s okay to recognize your own skills and qualities and give yourself a pat on the back. We all deserve a little self-love. Give yourself to permission to love on yourself!!
 NATIONAL COMPLIMENT DAY – January 24, 2021. (2020, January 08). Retrieved January 18, 2021, from https://nationaltoday.com/national-compliment-day/#:~:text=National%20Compliment%20Day%20%E2%80%93%20January%2024%2C%202021
 National Compliment Day. (2021, January 21). Retrieved January 18, 2021, from http://www.holidayscalendar.com/event/compliment-day/
 NATIONAL COMPLIMENT DAY – January 24. (2021, January 14). Retrieved January 18, 2021, from https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-compliment-day-january-24/